Geography

The Geography Department at St Bede's Catholic High School fully supports the mission statement of the school. The curriculum outlined below is designed to encourage achievement in all students of all abilities. The department seeks to promote geography as a dynamic, exciting subject and believes students should enjoy geography and be exposed to a variety of teaching and learning styles. Through enjoyment of the subject they will be encouraged to aim for the highest standards in all that they do.

Key Stage 3

Geography at Key Stage 3 contributes to a broad and balanced curriculum which meets the needs of all students. We aim to give students the opportunity to study a wide range of topics throughout Key Stage 3 in the hope of fostering a passion and interest for geography and the world around them. Alongside this, students will develop a range of transferable skills that can be used in other areas of the curriculum. 

Please read our 'scheme of work overview' for more information.  

Key Stage 4

Year 11

GCSE students in Year 11 are currently studying the AQA Specification B course. This course includes elements of human, physical and environmental Geography. In addition, we also cover a range of geographical skills, including map and graph work.

This course takes a linear approach, meaning that 75% of the total GCSE grade is achieved through two separate examinations at the end of Year 11. The remaining 25% is achieved through controlled assessment. 

Course requirements

Unit 1: Managing Places in the 21st Century - a 1hr 30min examination (37.5%) June of Year 11.
Unit 2: Hostile World & Investigating the Shrinking World - a 1hr 30min examination (37.5%) June of Year 11.
Unit 3: Local investigation including fieldwork (15%) and Geographical issue investigation (10%).

 

Year 10 

Year 10 students, that have chosen to study GCSE Geography at Key Stage 4 starting in June 2016, will be following the new AQA GCSE Geography (8035) syllabus. The full exam specification can be found at:

GCSE/Geography-8035

The new specification (8035) recognises the vital role geography has in the 21st century curriculum enabling our students to appreciate the complexity of our world and the diversity of its environments, economies and cultures.

 

Course requirements

The course now comprises three papers; one physical, one human and one that is skills and fieldwork based. All three papers and the units we are most likely to be teaching within them are outlined in 'GCSE scheme of work overview'. Some units are compulsory and some can be selected be teachers to best suit the students in their schools.

 

Fieldtrips

As a department our aim is to bring the subject to life for our students. We try to do this through offering a wide range of trips. In Year 7 our students complete fieldwork for their Settlemetn topic in Ormskirk town centre, in Year 9 they complete fieldwork on erosion at Formby beach and at GCSE our Year 11 students currently complete fieldwork in Liverpool city centre.

 

 

What's New

Formby coast trip 

 Our Year 9 students have recently visited Formby beach as part of their studies on the coastal environment. They spent the morning completing a guided tour around the beach and the dune system with a guide from the National Trust and the afternoon collecting data on damage to the area and the management of any damage.  

 

Now that they are back in class they are using the information they have collected from the trip to complete projects on the coastline.    

Click here to see ecosystem model by a Y8 student!

 

GCSE Results 2016

94% A*-C

3+ LOP = 90%

4+ LOP= 62% (above the expected level of progress)

5+ LOP= 34% (significantly above the expected level of progress)

Staff

Mrs A. Reynolds (Curriculum Leader - Maternity leave)

Mrs A. Clare (Curriculum leader while Mrs Reynolds is on maternity leave)

Mrs L. Turpin

Mrs J. Milligan (Maternity cover teacher)

 

An overview of our schemes of work

 

 

Learning Programmes

 Year 7 learning programme term 2

Year 8 learning programme term 2

Year 9 learning programme term 2

Year 10 learning programme term 2

Exam Information

Year 11:

AQA B EXAM Question links

Exam Q 1

Exam Q 2

How exam questions are marked

Key exam terms

Revision websites and resources

 

Homework

Year 9 - Takeaway homework